Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Try not to forget

Finally I am back home and back to work. Before leaving for Haiti, I never thought we could accomplish so much in four days!

During the trip we configured the price of what is costs to make the tire sandals (which is very important in order to be able to sell them at a certain price), we created a new fund-raising project on global giving titled 'Give Handmade Haitian Sandals to Barefoot Orphans' which can be found at http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/give-handmade-haitian-sandals-to-barefoot-orphans/ and we taught Brunel, RG accountant how to keep track of the sandals according to size configurations and color combination, we helped deliver sandals to an orphanage, we created a stronger partnership with Sogucedes, we communicated production goals with RG artisans, and we were involved in some of the planning for the new land, and we are transcribing what it costs to volunteer with RG.




Overall, I learned that I can have a balance of working and growing in my profession and strongly supporting an international nonprofit while being able to take short trips to get to experience what it is like as well. I am so pleased to have had the opportunity to see what it is like in the day of Julie. One thing she said to us is that in time we will forget what it is like out there. I am going to try my best to not forget and help all of you not forget because REBUILD is changing lives and the work they are doing is important.

1 comment: