Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Preparing for trip to Port-au-Prince, Haiti with REBUILD Globally


After a day of work, I just began to think what I need to be packing to go to Haiti. Julie, CEO of REBUILD Globally, has hopes that we will stay on the newly donated 1 acre of land. I know there is a shipping container we will be staying in and as of now I am preparing for no running water and no electricity. About 99% of me wants to go out and go shopping for new tank tops and shorts for the trip as well, because I feel that I don't have enough. I have not allowed myself to go shopping for myself though, I am bring supplies to help REBUILD globally artisans and their families. My biggest concerns for the trip so far are that I don't have a large enough hand held mirror or a proper pair of sandals that I can get dirty. I am in desperate need for another trip like this. A reality check of the privileged life I live and that there is so much more to consider other than myself or what I look like. I am going to get  a new perspective on how others live along with an opportunity  to contribute to the effort and to spread the word of the great work RG is doing. Most people are surprised that my friend Britani and I are only going for 4 days but I think it is important to do what you can. I had a choice to put off going to Haiti because I did not have enough time or to go and experience what a country is like that is attempting to get back to some type of equilibrium after a devastating earthquake, for the amount of time that I can. I have chosen to do what I can and to take the next right step at helping other people advance their lives while advancing my own. I truly believe in RG mission to improve the quality of life and create healthier environments for people in distressed communities by using new and innovative techniques that promote recycling, eco-friendly development, gainful employment, agriculture and education. I look forward to growing as a person in this short amount of time.

4 comments:

  1. You have no idea of the impact you and Britani will make in 4 days. I can't wait to have you out here and the artisans are very, very excited to meet you!!!

    Thank you for taking the time to write this blog and account for the real-life daily situations we face out here. This is a precious gift for REBUILD and all of our supporters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have said and learned ALREADY! You are the right person for this, Christine, and you will see miracles while you are there. I know it. Pray for guidance. I can't wait to see all of the beautiful things that come from your journey! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so proud of you and the work you are doing to advance the lives of our friends in Haiti. I'm looking forward to hear all about the trip.
    Be safe. Xxo

    ReplyDelete